Confessions of a Plannerholic #10 - My Top Must See Films






When I saw this topic I immediately knew which films I would be putting on my list! Aside from planners, food, Guinea pigs, rabbits, horses and teapots my biggest interest is film and television. Often food is involved too so it's all good :) 

There's so many I could choose and from so many different genres..it is hard to shortlist them. Below are a few of the ones I couldn't leave off the list....I say a few...I've left one or two without further note otherwise we could be here all day!

In no particular order...

K-Pax (2001)
I watched this film with my mum one weekend when I still lived back at home. I remember we rented it from blockbuster - back when it still existed and people rented hard copies of films, how I miss walking into there and seeing film upon film, then the disappointment where the film you were after wasn't available. I remember being pretty dubious, as at the time this certainly wasn't my kind of film. Too slow paced and not enough psychological thrillerness to it. I ended up watching its with my mum anyway, and I'm so glad I did. The characters and themes strongly resonated with me, I love Kevin Spacey's portrayal of Prot and that the writers/directors left ending up for interpretation. There was no way I was going to miss this one off the list!

Elf (2003)
Will Farrel's best role and the only role I've ever found him funny in. I watch this every single Christmas without fail!

Pay It Forward (2000)
A film given to me as a present by someone dear to me. She'd mentioned it a few times and when I said I hadn't seen it she decided to change that! I can honestly say that no matter how many times I watch this film I'm always left in bits by the ending. Another beautiful portrayal by Kevin Spacey (there's a bit of a theme developing here but I promise they don't all include him!) and Haley Joel Osment as Trevor (he is just so stinking cute as a kid!!), their chemistry on screen is awesome.

Finding Nemo (2003)

Monster Squad (1987)
A film of cheesy 80s kids and Halloween monsters, what more could you want?

The Goonies (1985)
I was introduced to this film by my partner....all I can say about this film is how much I love Chunk. He is basically me, if I were a boy living in America in the 80s. I know so much of this film word for word but I still love snuggling up on the sofa and watching this film with a bowl of popcorn or crisps!

The Burbs (1989)
Another film introduced to me by my partner, seriously he knows all the best cult films to watch! This film makes me chuckle so much, I love the chemistry between Ray (Tom Hanks) and Art (Rick Ducommun), you totally believe them to be grown up boys getting themselves into mischief. Also hats off to Tom Hanks for eating the pretzel and sardines....bleurgh!

Hear No Evil, See No Evil (1989)
This film had me howling with laughter. I adore Gene Wilder in all his films, but he is just perfect in this film. Very typical of an 80s film (another one, yes, but in my defence some of THE best films are from this decade, they just don't make 'em like they used to!) but classic non the less. It has a little American slapstick comedy, which isn't really my thing but there's plenty else to laugh at.

*Batteries not included (1987)
Another 80s cult classic. The special effects are primitive but I find more believable than today's world of CGI.

Stand By Me (1986)

12 Angry Men (1957)
First time I watched this was when it was shoved on in a psychology lecture, and I'll admit I was bored senseless, I remember playing squares and hangman with my friend in attempt to dull the boredom. I'm not sure what possessed me to watch it again, but man did I have a wrong impression about this film. It's actually pretty damn good! I now know who Henry James Fonder is...ha!

Dead Poets Society (1989)
Robin Williams is simply superb in this.

The Boat That Rocked (2009)
A film that takes me back to my uni days, sat on the sofa with my housemates singing along and laughing. I'd lost count how many times we'd watched it together.

The Godfather (1972)
Epically long classic, not my usual type of film as it is quite slow paced and I have a short attention span, but I watched it all the way through 1 to 3....finally!
Dances with Wolves (1990)
I saw this when I was ill, we had nothing left I hadn't seen and I came across this taped onto VHS. I'm not really a fan of Kevin Costner nor this film genre, but it surprised me in being actually a pretty decent watch!

Shawshank Redemption (1994)
My favourite part of this movie is getting to listen to Morgan Freeman narrate. There is just something so silky smooth about it *sighs*. There is something really earthy and gritty about the narrative and it gets me every time.

My Name Is Khan (2010)
This film speaks to me in so many ways, it has a funny yet very endearing message to be told.
 
Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
First time I watched this I didn't get it. I mentally switched off about 10 minutes in. Boy was I stupid. I gave it another shot as my partner said I was missing out....and he was right as usual lol but don't tell him that! 

Muppet's Christmas Carol (1992)
This one needs no explanation! It is simply amazeballs.


It's funny that some of my top must see films are not necessarily fantastic examples of cinematography, but it is more the time and place I was in when I watched them, made the fall into my top list...there haven't been many recent films but there a few, I just didn't mention them as most people will know about them! So yeah that's my list :)

Thanks for reading and let me know if you decide to watch any of them or if you have let me know what you thought of them!

Check out some of the other awesome contributors to this series!

SkaLovingGeek
UglyBugDoes
TheStationeryGeekette
TheVintagePlanner
ABeautifulPlan
ALifeLivedInWords
MyChaoticallyEclecticLife
PineappleAndButton
PennygateCrafts
PlanWithHannah
SallyAnneMade 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dream Create Journal #6 - A lesson in Reflection

The (second) most wonderful time of the year!!

Beginning a new Journey